Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Southern California

My heart and prayers go out to all the residents of Southern California during the wildfires.

I was actually down in San Diego on Monday, I hadn't heard yet about the wildfires and had been scheduled on an o-dark-thirty flight from Seattle to San Diego. I sat in an isle seat on a mostly empty flight (it's usually mostly empty at that hour outside the summer months) and didn't look out the window much. When I did it I thought the thick blanket of smoke was the typical morning marine-layer that can cloud up San Diego in the morning. It would have been terribly nice had the unnamed airline I was flying on thought to warn everyone "You know, you're flying into a disaster zone right???"

Anyway, I learned the state of affairs quickly once on the ground and began the process to make my way home. I had a ton of work to do and didn't think to snap any pictures from my cell but I can say that the blanket of smoke was tremendous. Even as far south-east as the airport is from the witch fire (the largest). It was difficult to see the downtown buildings from the airport and normally visible distant hills were nothing but a gray mass.

I know quite a few people down there none of whom have thus far lost their homes but many others have. You're all in my prayers.

1 comment:

Rod shockley said...

I agree! Real people are in real disaster, lots of them! God, forgive us for our dismissing of these kinds of events because of distance and self-interest. Let's all tip our compassion towards them in prayer. Father in heaven, help them with this terrible mess!