Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Hi Nobody, I'm Somebody

So here I am, writing my first blog post to nobody, watching every other word get underlined by the spell checker (without whom I would be completely shunned in the business world) telling you things to make you think I'm somebody. I'll be linking this to other people who have been gracious enough to promise me they'll link back (we'll see if they still do after my first post) so I'll tell you a bit about myself. I lead worship for TurningPoint Community Church in the Kent/Auburn area of Washington. I have a day job and it's not at all relevant to music.

I guess I should get to the original point that got me thinking about the topic of my first post and actually the title of my blog. Finding worship in everyday life. I'm reading a [very short] book by David Crowder called Praise Habit. It's an interesting albeit brief conversation about the praise opportunities we encounter and typically discard in everyday life. Ok, it's a bit more abstract then that but it's caused me to think in that general direction. I actually let my everyday life affect my weekly selection of songs quite a bit and I'm starting to think that's backwards.

Seeking...: The Fathers Song
Recently, Josh (who is a friend of mine and Associate Pastor at TurningPoint) blogged about the soundtrack of life and that crossed some wires in my head with what I've been pondering over (see prior paragraph). What if music is always playing around me and I'm so absorbed in everything going on that I can't hear it anymore. I used to hear it... I was one of those kids who, unembarrassed (another red squiggly), would walk down the street humming and making up words to a song I'd never heard before but somehow knew. But the music isn't there anymore. It is but I can't hear it over the noise and if I try and silence everything else so I can hear and try singing along I've forgotten the words. Occasionally I remember, but I'm rarely in a position where participating in said music is socially acceptable so I let my social position dictate my hearing and then my week chooses the songs. Not that refraining from singing random things during a stroll through the mall is really a problem I want to "solve". I'm just starting to pay more attention to the music of God's creation around me.

That is my intent for this blog. To journey through the weekly life of a worship leader and offer random thoughts on Music, Worship, Church (from the perspective of the not-on-staff worship leader) and whatever else crosses my mind on the topic. But enough for now, I have to go silence the music my cat is making while begging for her third dinner.

No comments: